I know I mentioned earlier that my Grandma May is not doing well. I wasn't going to write about her until after the funeral (oh that sounds morbid), but it's been an overwhelming experience this week and I need to vent. I got a phone call on Tuesday from my family telling me that Grandma was not doing well, she had stopped eating and was completely bed-ridden. My dad, Trevor, and Sapphira all drove down to be with her. Nobody expected her to last much longer than a day or two, and here we are almost 4 days later. They say her breathing is very labored (one breath every 30 seconds or so), she gets restless at night, and only opened her eyes once yesterday. She's unable to speak anymore, and when she did it was hardly coherent. I had planned on just waiting for the funeral before going up, but now I just need to be with my family. I think what makes it hard is not so much that she IS going to die, but the waiting. She's been a widow for the last 20 years and will be turning 91 on the 25th (next Thursday). She's lived a long full, healthy, happy, righteous life. She's mothered 7 children and has only had to bury one. She has over 20 grand children and even more great grandchildren, even some great great grandchildren. I know that she is headed for a better place, I know that her husband will be waiting for her to return, and I know that she will leave this world well loved, admired, and missed. I'll be leaving for Salt Lake tomorrow to be with my family and hopefully to say goodbye before she leaves us behind. It's hard because we just don't know how much longer she'll be with us. She has been lucky though because she survived without getting sick or suffering. She doesn't have cancer, or alzheimers, or even pneumonia, she just wants to go home. This is the last picture I took with my grandma a little over 2 years ago. I love her.

I hope she doesn't have to suffer. I'm glad she isn't leaving in a sickness. Best wishes.
ReplyDelete