Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sometimes there's just one thing left to say...

It seems like there are a few movies that no matter how many times I watch them I cry, and I'm not talking about the Dumbo kind. I'm talking about the "I would die without him" kind, you know where love is so tragic, but yet the only thing that matters kind. For me it's Hope Floats and P.S I Love You. When I was younger, probably a freshman I think, I watched Hope Floats for 2 weeks straight. It made me want to curl up in bed and never leave. That movie did something to me, it changed me. I know that's kinda weird to say about a 14 year old girl, but that movie reached right in and grabbed my heart. I think it kind of screwed me up to tell you the truth, but that is beside the point. It made me realize that I wanted a man who loved/wanted/needed me as bad as Justin did Birdie. It also made me want to move to Texas and learn how to dance like Sandra Bullock. I grew up though and evolved. I have a new movie now that I think touches me even deeper than Hope Floats did...P.S. I Love You. I had seen the movie with Anita last summer and then bought it last fall, but I haven't seen it since that first time I watched it. I think I was scared to watch it because I knew what it would do to me. I've really been wanting to watch it lately so this weekend, I put on my pj's, told Jacob if you don't want to see me cry you better leave, turned out all the lights and climbed into bed. Less than 5 minutes in I was already crying. Less than 30 I had to make a cup of tea to help me. The movie is about a woman who's husband dies, and she starts receiving letters in the mail that he had written to her before he died. Thinking about it now it makes me want to cry. I don't want to spoil the movie to much for you because I know you're going to go home and rent it, so I won't. It makes me think of Elder Bednar's talk "Tender Mercies of the Lord". Mainly the part about the woman who had lost her husband in the Iraq War. Several weeks later though she recieved a Christmas card saying "To the best family in the world! Have a great time together and remember the true meaning of Christmas! The Lord has made it possible for us to be together forever. So even when we are apart, we will still be together as a family.
“God bless and keep y’all safe and grant this Christmas to be our gift of love from us to Him above!!!
“All my love, Daddy and your loving husband!”
I remember hearing this story and being so touched. I couldn't imagine losing Jacob, and I know if I did I most likely wouldn't be able to leave my house let alone my bed, even though I know that we will be together forever, this world is an awful place to be alone and I would miss him terribly. In the very beginning of the movie a conversation that Holly and Gerry had really struck me. Holly said that sometimes she felt like their life was never going to start, and Gerry told her that it already had, that they were already living it. That is exactly how I feel sometimes, that life will begin when we have a big house, or a fat paycheck, or our first baby. But Gerry is right our life has already started. And if I don't start living in the now and enjoying every minute of it, I'm worried I'll always be waiting, and while I'm waiting, life will just pass me by. I don't think any of this makes as much sense as I had hoped, but let me summarize it into bullets for you:
1. Live your life now, don't wait.
2. Love with all your heart.
3. Be greatful for your spouse.
4. Don't watch P.S. I Love You unless you want to cry, I'm warning you.
5. Here's a video for the song from the movie "I'll Love you 'til the End"

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, its so easy to get caught up in the future and not realize that today IS yesterday's future. I even find myself getting lost in the past, wishing for things to far gone.
    I have a few tearball-baby movies too. One of the sweetest love story movies I ever seen though- one of my favorite movies period- is called "Sweet Land." Its absoutely darling. If you haven't seen it, you should.

    ReplyDelete