Saturday, June 13, 2009

Musical Genius

When I heard that Mat Kearney was playing in El Paso and for $10 bucks I freaked out. I almost wrecked my car, I was driving when I heard the announcement on the radio. I immediately called and texted my 3 closet friends: Jacob, Elise, and Holly. Then I went straight to work with a huge smile on my face and bought 2 tickets. Holly and I left LC about 7ish, the concert started at 8 and I was really worried that we wouldn't be close enough to see the sweat beads on his forehead, mmm. But we actually were right in front, it was pretty much the most amazing experience in my life. Ok let me rephrase that, it was pretty much the most amazing musical experience, but it's a close call though Dashboard was really good too. Anyway there were two openers, the first was Damien Wilds, a local El Paso artist. He had a good voice, and I might have liked him if I didn't have to listen to him talk in between songs, or if I was blind. I didn't even bother taking a picture of him or the 2nd opener Slick Reynolds. Holly and I were really confused about them. I don't even know how to explain it. Before Damien came on the MC got up and announced that Mat's plane was supposed to land at 3 but had been delayed and he wouldn't land until 8:45. It was a little after 9 during Slick Reynolds' performance and there was a little ripple in the crowd, I felt something touch me, I turned around and there he was; Mat Kearney. It was wonderful, I felt my face turn red instantly and got all giddy. Granted he was just walking by and didn't even look up, and it was probably his fat manager pushing me out of the way, but I don't care, in my mind it was him that grazed me. It was just him and his guitar, he came without a band, and it was perfect! He interacted with the crowd, he sang all of my favorites. He talked about how he put his heart and soul into his songs, and how he got a call asking him if they could play it while 2 doctors made out. If you don't know what he's talking about it's Grey's Anatomy. They've used quite a few of his songs on their show. I tried to find the clips, but no luck and I'm getting quite frustrated, sorry! Anyway it's getting pretty late, but I have to say I love his music. I love his lyrics, I love the melody, the beat, the whole dang thing. There isn't a song of his I don't love. His music speaks to my heart. I always do heavy thinking when I'm driving, and before Jacob and I got married I used to drive to and from El Paso for work, usually at night. I remember listening to Breathe In Breathe Out on those dark nights, and just having a deep sense of love, hope, faith, understanding, contentment and so many other feelings. I hear the song and I'm just overcome with emotion. I don't even know how to describe it. That's not the only song of his I love. The very first song of his I heard Elise had put on a mix cd that she had given me for Christmas, then a few months later I remember listening to Nothing Left to Lose in Holly's car on our way to Carlsbad. His music has so much feeling to it that you just feel connected to the song in so many ways and on so many levels. I told you that I would just be rambling during this post, and it doesn't help that it's 1 in the am. So not to bore you any longer and to make a long story short, buy his cd, download his music, check out his webpage, watch his music videos on YouTube, you will not be disappointed. Without further ado (?) the pictures/videos:






Just a warning the videos are sideways, I'm too tired to figure out how to rotate them, maybe I'll tinker with it tomorrow when the sun is up and my brain is functioning almost properly, in the meantime tilt your head at least 45 degrees to the left and you're golden, oh and they're a little loud and fuzzy.

1 comment: