Saturday, August 22, 2009

Jucy Lucy

The day after I flew in to Minneapolis Kristen treated me to lunch local style. She took me to this place just around the corner called Matt's Bar. It's a hole in the wall bar with a griddle set up behind the bar. It was packed and we had to wait for someone to leave to get a seat. There's only one waitress, and as soon as you see someone leave their table you snag it, and then they come clean it. I had never heard of the Jucy Lucy before (I thought it was a typo, but that's really how they spell it), but apparently it's famous! There are a lot of copy cats, but Matt's is the original. The waitress brought our food out to us, no plates here, and warned to let it cool first. You see it's called a Jucy Lucy because, well it's Jucy. The cheese is inside the patty. It's gets nice and melted and mixed in with all the burger juice. I grabbed mine in two hands, bit in, and I hear something that sounded like a baby pooping (I know it sounds gross, but that's seriously what I though of) and my cheese had squirted all out of the bottom. I instantly turned red, Kristen was laughing, and the table next to us were all looking over smiling. They could tell I was a first timer. Despite the small mishap (supposedly it's a rather common occurrence there) the burger was delicious! Don't expect lettuce, tomato, or mayo here. Just meat, cheese, bun, and grilled onions (if you'd like). It was pure deliciousness and an experience all on it's own. This picture was taken on my cell, so it's kind of hard to see, but none the less.You can see all the "jucy" the came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment