Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year






I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas, I sure did. Jacob's parents, Sister, brother-in-law, and niece joined us for Christmas Eve. We went to the plaza in Old Mesilla. Every year the village decorates the plaza with luminarias and twinkly lights, passes out candles and hot chocolate, and everyone gathers together and sings carols. It was lovely. I've always wanted to go, but this was my first time. I wish I had taken pictures, but I forgot my camera at home. Afterwards we all came back to our place and feasted on Tamales and Chili, followed by more singing and games. My sweet niece shared her version of the Christmas story complete with nativity scene. Jacob and I watched Christmas Vacation together after everyone had left for the night. The next morning I woke up incredibly early (5:00!) and watched A Christmas Story on tv while Jacob slept. It was so peaceful sitting on the sofa in the wee hours of Christmas morning while the tree was lit. It was a beautiful experience. I sat there thinking of my mother and how I wish she was here, my father who always passed out the presents, my brother Nigel who is serving the Lord on full time mission in Georgia, and of course our Saviour. I felt humbled, loved, peace, and utterly content. Jacob and I had hot chocolate and opened presents with the children about 7:00 (also considered really early for me). Ribeye had fun ripping the wrapping paper off his gifts (I know we're crazy). After Jacob and I opened gifts we spent some time basking in the afterglow and then drove to El Paso to spend the rest of the day with his family. We had a lovely Christmas dinner complete with Christmas crackers and Martinelli's (a May family tradition). I enjoyed the days following, and was sad to return to work yesterday. I had really hoped for a white Christmas, but it just wasn't meant to be. When I woke up today though it was snowing! However, it was melted by the time I left work, but it was nice to look out my office window and see the flakes falling. It's amazing that the year is almost over, and I find myself reflecting on the past year. It reminds me of the scene in You've Got Mail when Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan)'s business is in trouble and she is thinking of her mother. Although I am fortunate to have a living mother, and no business troubles the scene still speaks to me. I guess it makes me thankful for those exact reasons, and for all the other blessings in my life. Perhaps it's the music (the song is called Remember and states it about 1,000 times). I posted a clip below, although it's not the scene from the movie, it's the song, which still evokes the same feelings. The holiday season is a good time to remember all of the people, blessings, opportunities we have in our lives, and to look forward to the future. In short, I love the Holidays, and I hope that yours were as pleasant as mine. Much love.

1 comment:

  1. We watch CHristmas Vacation every year on CHristmas eve! it's another Barrow tradition.. we're just full of traditions

    ReplyDelete