Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Albuquerque!

A few weekends ago the company that my brother works for (which is who I work for, my brother not the company) was having a family day at the zoo in ABQ. Jacob and I went up on Friday night and had to stop at the locally famous Owl Bar Cafe. It’s located in San Antonio (New Mexico, not Texas) just south of Socorro. It was a dive to say the least but I was in Heaven! It reminded me a bit of Mat’s in Minneapolis. You walk in through the bar. There are a couple of booths out front, but if you don’t want to sit in the bar area there is a room in the back with plenty of seating. It was a small menu, just one page in a frame on the wall. Owl Bar is known for it’s green chile burgers so of course that’s what we had to have. We also got onion rings and cheese fries. It was delicious! At first bite the green chile was pretty hot but seemed to get milder as I kept eating (does that even make sense). And the cheese fries OMG! I haven’t been able to stop thinking about them. On the wall you’ll see a bunch of one dollar bills w/peoples names on them. Every year the owners of the Cafe take down the dollar bills and donate them to a few of their charities. They usually end up with a couple thousand dollars a year. Across from the Owl Bar is the Buckhorn. The Buckhorn was featured on the FoodNetwork. They competed against Bobby Flay for best green chile cheeseburger and won. Our plan was to stop there on our way home, but sadly they close at 2 on Saturdays so we missed them. We ate at La Cocina in T or C instead. I don’t think it’s worth writing about, I didn’t like it very much. They use Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, that just seems like a crime against nature.
The zoo was a lot of fun! We haved some delicious barbeque at our lunch, and the potato salad was really good too (and I don’t usually like potato salad). It was nice to meet all of the people from the Albuquerque office, which is the main office in the area. After lunch we walked around to all the animal exhibits with Steven, Anita, and the girls. My favorite exhibit was the Polar Bears. They were so cute and playful! They kept bouncing on their huge balls! Jacob’s favorite was the Rhino’s...you’ll understand when you see the picture.
No trip to ABQ would be complete without a stop @ Trader Joe’s! I really wish we had one in Las Cruces. I ate 2 bags of their kettle corn that weekend. Did I mention that we had IHOP for breakfast? It seems this post has turned into a food diary…



No comments:

Post a Comment