Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Weekend Camping Trip

I've been wanting to go camping and Memorial Day weekend presented the perfect oppurtunity, except that it's been raining alot lately. I was determined though that the weather was going to cooperate and be just lovely, and I was right! We left early on Saturday morning, with Ribeye hukered down in the back seat and Lexi at home with about a weeks supply worth of food and water (poor baby!). We took the "scenic route" through Hillsboro up into the Gila. Neither Jacob or I have ever been that way before, in fact Jacob doesn't remember ever going to the Gila before. We camped at a place called Iron Creek right in between Kingston and Mimbres. We got there early enough in the day that we were able to find a really nice spot with nobody close by, but of course that didn't last long. About 30 min. later a caravan of our neighbors from the South showed up and claimed the spot right next to ours. The poor people on the other side of their campsite were chased off by their Mariachi music. The weather was really nice and we only had one small incident with Ribeye. He ran off to the neighbors camp and well let's just say it was a little embarrassing. It only rained a little bit and it was only light. We spent the day hiking and playing scrabble and cards. After listening to our loud neighbors all day we decided to come home to our Lexi on Sunday rather than Monday. We made a yummy dinner of steak kabobs and smores. The next moring we packed up camp and headed out for a drive through the Gila. Our original plan was to hike a 13.5 mile trail I had read about, but we couldn't find the trail head. We decided to drive to the cliff dwellings instead. It was a beautiful drive through the mountains. After getting to the cliff dwelling and realizing that we only had two dollars on us we decided to just take Ribeye to the river to play instead. That turned out to be a great idea. He had so much fun running around and splashing in the water. Then we drove home through Silver City only stopping for some ice cream. Lexi was more than happy to see us when we got home. Make sure you check out the video at the bottom of Ribeye in the river.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I love camping. I can't wait to plan some trips myself. Ribeye is super cute. Someday I'll have a dog to wreak havoc and swim in rivers... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete